"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Friday, May 25, 2012

Note to self and other future healthcare workers

When I am a patient, and I am lying on my back with nothing on but a gown, two people staring at my vag, and one of them is a young man-doctor with a scalpel in his hand, the last thing I want to hear is, "Whoah, that's weird!" I finally had a much procrastinated boil lancing done in my pubic area this afternoon. It turned out that I couldn't bring myself to say anything to my regular physician (a 70 year old man) about it, so I opted to go to my local med stop, because, well, it felt more anonymous? I don't know. I've had the issue for two years and it's recently gotten worse; plus it looked kind of yuck and with me contemplating taking a new lover (not something I usually post about here!) I decided I need to get it taken care of. The "oh weird" they were exclaiming about was that I had a lipoma (fatty tumor) inside said boil, and that might have been what caused the initial irritation. At various other points during the procedure there were comments like "Oh, my fiance gets boils all the time, especially when she travels." And, "That's too scattered, that's more something for a general surgeon." Oh, and my favorite, "I can't wait to see the new men in black movie!" Again, not something I want to hear right at that moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment