"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Saturday, October 15, 2011

Got in "trouble" at work for hands on help

The other day I had a note in my mailbox at work to please refrain from physically helping the residents as it puts both myself and the company in a position to be legally liable if something bad happens.

I understand the concern. It's just a tough spot to be in, when the paramedics have assessed the resident and said she's okay, the resident insists she's okay, and then when everyone's gone home, said resident still feels dizzy and needs help getting back to her apartment. I thought I was staying on the right side of the line (dividing okay help from the type of help that's not allowed); I walked backwards in front of her and let her hold my hands to steady herself. She wasn't putting a great deal of pressure on me physically, having the contact just helped her feel safe.

I guess according to corporate, what I'm supposed to do in that situation is call the family (from 60 miles away) to come help her back to her room. Or call 911 again. Or just walk along side her, and if she falls, she falls, and then I call 911 again. Ugh.

I didn't get written up formally or anything, and my supervisor said she knew "my heart was in the right place", but that I had to refrain in the future from physically helping a resident.

This is so much more than a "receptionist" position.

No comments:

Post a Comment