"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Friday, February 3, 2012

Middle Fingers and Generous Spirits

It has been a couple weeks since my first day as a med-tech / caregiver, but there were two stories I wanted to share from that day.

First, I was in the wellness center learning what my role and responsibilities would be as a med-tech. I was there with C, an LVN, and K, another med tech. In walks a frail senior lady. "How can we help you?" someone asks. She looks at us and flips her middle finger.

It turns out that she has a chronic crack on the tip of her middle digit that she regularly comes to the wellness center for to get ointment :-) She either has no idea of the significance of pointing that finger skyward, or is doing it ironically.

Later that day, I was in another residents' room. She had been dizzy and needed help back to her room, and I was alone with her helping her put on some new depends. She's going on about how comfortable this particular brand is, how it doesn't sag or bunch...and then she looks at me and asks, "is this the kind you use? You can have some if you want!" Completely serious face. I thanked her for her generosity but said no, I don't use that kind.

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment