"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Friday, February 3, 2012

Workout at Work

In my efforts to lose weight and get healthy, I have been wearing a pedometer for the last few months, every day. When I was working a combination of the receptionist job and teaching, I would get from 3-6,000 steps per day, generally. Since I started the med-tech / caregiver position, I get more like 10-12,000. The caregiver work (currently 1 day per week of my job) is more physical. Kneeling to put on ted hose and shoes, serving in the dining room, etc. The med-tech is also very physical but a few less steps in the day.

So far, so good. I've been more aware of my right knee, which has been tender for the last several months since I fell on it in late November. I was worried that my plantar fascitis problems would come back again with the increased activity, but so far, so good. I have been wearing my orthotics every day, as prescribed.

I sweat A LOT at work. Part of it is the physical activity, and being a larger gal. The other factor is that inside the building it is at least 75F at all times, and in the resident's personal rooms it can be much, much warmer, depending on their preference. I have been using residents' kleenex or toilet paper to mop my face when needed, but I should probably start carrying a hankie or something in my pocket. Sometimes when I take off my gloves, sweat splashes out of them and my fingers are pruned. I mentioned the sweat issue to another caregiver I was training with last week and she said she sweat a lot at the beginning too.

At one point, I was riding up in the elevator after serving a meal to the residents, and the woman I was working with that day asked me what was wrong. "Nothing, really!" I kept saying. I then understood that she thought the droplets falling down my cheeks were tears. Just sweat, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment