"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Saturday, January 14, 2012

Accepted a new job. RELIEF.

Two days ago I accepted a new job (within the same company) and put in my 2 weeks notice at my current position. My current supervisor at the receptionist job asked if I would be willing to fill in sometimes if needed and I said I'd be glad to.

My new gig will be full time, 40 hours per week, with benefits. I will be spending part of that time as a personal care assistant, and part of it as a medication technician. They are starting me at $11 per hour. I will have benefits after 90 days. Huge. Sigh. Of Relief. If I have to cut down to half time during nursing school (likely) I should be able to at least get back on a COBRA continuation again. Another plus? They provide the uniforms. One less ongoing expense to worry about.

I had two interviews for the job. The first one felt like a hole in one. Totally rocked it. Had no doubt I was going to get an offer. The second was a little rockier but I felt like the decision had already been made on their part by that point. I also talked to the other place I was considering, the paid CNA training program, that day, and there was promise there, but I decided to go with the med tech job for two main reasons:

(1) the paid CNA training gig would have only been $8.70 an hour (vs $11)
(2) if I decide it would be useful to have my CNA license after all, I will be able to apply for that after my first semester of nursing school, which, assuming I get in, is only 11 months away.
(3) I like that I will be spending at least part of my time as a medication technician, which requires some state-mandated training (another thing to add to the ol' resume).

During the interview, the manager said that if I ended up getting into nursing school they would be able to work with me on hours as well. I don't know what kind of course schedule I will have during the first semester of nursing school. I know it won't be a good idea to work full time, even if I am tempted to. Have to wait and see.

I am just a little bit concerned about my pre-employment physical, which is happening next Friday afternoon. I already had one for the receptionist position but because I will be on my feet more and stuff they are having me do another one. I also need to get my TB records together again, and all that jazz. It may be about time to renew my first aid training again as well. They will pay for all that if necessary.

I know that this job will be more physically taxing than my current one, but it should be GREAT preparation for my nursing career. And probably being on my feet all day will help me slim down.

So, again, whew.

No comments:

Post a Comment