"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Wednesday, March 2, 2016

So, I'm a nurse now...

I got busy and let this blog fall by the wayside during nursing school. I think that might be a fairly common pattern for those trying to blog their ways through school!

I graduated from my associates of nursing program in May of 2014, had my license by July, and started my first nursing job on a mixed med-surg/tele floor in August 2014. I worked there for a year and a half (first half nights, second half days), and then requested a facility transfer to a hospital closer to where I live. I now work night shift on a step down unit---have only been there 3 months. I like my crew. I'm hoping to switch back to days eventually, although the pace of nights is pleasant.

At one point I applied for a labor and delivery position at the same hospital. I was pretty excited about it, thinking it would be a key in for eventual move toward NICU. My interviewers realized that too, because I'd been talking to a bunch of people, and they decided to go with someone whose dream was actually L&D. Fair enough. I'm now glad I didn't go that direction. I still think I'd like to work in the NICU at some point, but maybe as part of the float pool at first (get my NRP and STABLE certifications).

I have been working on an online program for my BSN. Two semesters down, and I have one more class to complete before the degree will be done. I've already switched over to the bridge program for a masters of education in nursing. I think I want to teach nursing at the local community college down the road. It will probably take several years to get there, although I could have my M.S. within the next year and a half if I keep up at my current pace.

There were definitely some struggles in my first year of nursing. I'm not going to dwell on them now. Mostly not in the actual care of patients! I may get into them later.

For now, I'm happy to have a stable job near home with coworkers I like and a three-12's schedule that allows for a fair amount of time off.

No comments:

Post a Comment