"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Sunday, September 11, 2011

Holy cow, I aced it!

I took my official TEAS test yesterday. Coming up to the test, I felt like I really hadn't studied as much as I should have. I got in the 60's in science on my last practice test.

But somehow I pulled it together in the last days before the test. The night before, I did just the science sections in the two practice tests in the book, and made sure to review anything I'd written down that I didn't know how to do in math or science or that needed brushing up. For example, I know the roman numerals X and I but if you get into the letters M, C, D and L, well let's just say it's not a system I use very often. And it's been a long, long while since I've had intro chem, so I needed to review the structure of the periodic table of elements, and patterns within the table.

I slept in until about 9 on the day of the test. I had decided that if I didn't feel too panicky, I wanted to briefly go to a friend's daughter's birthday party, and I ended up going, from 11:30 to 12:30, then headed over to the test for a 1:15 check-in.

It was somewhat distracting that, being one of the first few to check in, I had to listen to the proctor go over start-up with each subsequent student that checked in. And once during the test, the proctor from next door came, put his hand on my shoulder and said "excuse me"...and wanted to look at what was on my screen. He didn't explain why. There was a question on the test in the reading section that I was *SURE* there was a problem with, and I told him about it. He didn't explain what he was doing there, and went away again. Huh?

I pretty much took the whole test straight through, except for one bathroom break. I think I was the first one to finish but I wasn't paying close attention.

I made myself go slowly on the reading section, was careful with my math, felt pretty good working through the science, and went probably more quickly than I should have through the English and English language usage. The testing site blocked everybody's scores until later on that day so that we wouldn't all be looking at what we got out in the lobby and making a big ruckus. I thought they'd be available when I got home but they weren't.

I put in a movie, and checked again after I was done watching, and lo and behold:

I scored in the 99th percentile!!!

My actual score was in the mid-nineties. So that won't be holding me back from acceptance to my program of choice. Whew!

Maybe I just wasn't as invested when I was doing the practice tests, or maybe I was better rested during the real deal. I know my last minute review helped considerably too, refreshing foggy bits of my memory.

Anyway, I'm relieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment