"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Monday, September 5, 2011

TEAS practice test 2....hrmph

So I'm 5 days out from the TEAS test now. I haven't studied nearly as much as I planned. I think one mistake I made was not focusing my studies more. I spent most of my time on English just because that was the first section I decided to work on and I never got to the rest sequentially; I should have started with science. Without further ado, here we go: a handy dandy comparison chart I made of my two practice tests:


And here's a breakdown of the sub-sections:


Sub-Scale Score


June %


September


TEAS: Reading - (42 Items)


90.5


88.1


Paragraph
& Passage Comprehension


78.9


78.9


Informational Source Comprehension


100


95.7


TEAS: Mathematics - (30 Items)


93.3


96.7


Numbers
and Operations


100


94.7


Algebraic
Applications


100


100


Data
Interpretation


100


100


Measurement


50


100


TEAS:
Science - (48 Items)

83.3

68.8

Human
Body Science

72.7

54.5

Life
Science

93.3

80

Earth
and Physical Science

78.6

71.4
Scientific
Reasoning

87.5

62.5

TEAS:
English and Language Usage - (30 Items)

76.7

90

Grammar
and Word Meanings in Context

86.7

93.3

Spelling
and Punctuation

66.7

88.9

Structure

66.7

83.3


So, in the little remaining time I've got, I'm going to learn from my mistakes and focus on the science, starting with human body science (!!) and then scientific reasoning, then physical science, then life science.

I can't believe I did so poorly on the human body section.

Although I was telling myself to take time, I was taking this test between 8-10 at night after a full work day...excuses, excuses...and I did rush on some.

For Reading...allowed 58 minutes...took 40.
For Math...allowed 51 minutes...took 31.
For Science...allowed 66 minutes...took 36.
For English...allowed 34 minutes...took 15.

Some specific things I noticed I need to review while taking the test are:

-picking the "main idea" of the passage; I got a lot of these wrong, WTH?
-Converting numbers written like CMXXIX to their Arabic equivalents
-embryonic germ layers and what they become
-brain parts and their functions, i.e. which part controls balance?
-bond types and melting points (ugh, chemistry!)
-"first ionization energy" whatever that is
-cell types that produce "soluble" antibodies
-nuclear reactions...I want to say there were like 3 of these on there
-their version of scientific reasoning and the terminology that goes with it
-the term "simple subject"

No comments:

Post a Comment