"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Good news, scholarship!

I got a $1000 scholarship from the hospital I've been volunteering at. I applied for it about a month ago; I had to write a few essays, get two letters of recommendation, and fill out some forms. And they only took applications from current student volunteers.

To receive the scholarship, I had to give a short speech at an awards luncheon attended by all of the other volunteers as well as many of the hospital administration, including the CEO.

This was roughly the speech I gave:

******
I have been considering transitioning to a career in the health professions for a while now. Nursing, specifically, has been a profession that I repeatedly revisited in my dreams about the future. About two years ago, I began pursuing this idea more seriously.
Although a stable source of income, and projected future demand in the job market were on my mind, my interest in nursing goes beyond these things. I really think that my background in biology, fascination with the workings of the human body, and natural ability to help people feel at ease telling me anything will go far in this field and I can make a positive difference.
Almost two years ago now, I moved back to my home town of XX, where I know that there is a very strong RN program at XX. I took the remaining prerequisites for nursing school and earned a 4.0 GPA while tutoring other students in English and Sciences to support myself, and volunteering my Saturdays here, to gain more experience in the healthcare setting. Last summer I submitted my application to the RN program, and just a few weeks ago found out that I got in, with the first cut.
To make a start in the medical field and to support myself up to and during nursing school, I recently began a position in the wellness center of an assisted living facility. I work as a med tech, pouring and passing medications, giving treatments, and responding to any emergencies. Between my experiences there and here at the hospital I can tell that nursing is going to be a good fit for me.
When I begin nursing school this August, I will have to reduce my work hours to accommodate my class schedule. There will be $2000 dollars worth of books to buy during my first semester, and as a second career student, I am not eligible for many sources of financial aid. I very much appreciate this organization’s contribution to my education. In a couple of short years, hopefully I will be an RN, working here at XX Hospital, and will see you all again.
*****

The CEO stopped me on my way back to my table and said it was a really nice speech. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment