"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Phlebotomy licensing

I finally sent off portion 2 of my phlebotomy licensing paperwork today. Been procrastinating a long time on that, partly because now that I got into nursing school, I doubt I will need the license, partly because of starting the new job as a med tech and just feeling really busy.

I took the licensing exam in December (4 1/2 months ago now)... was a little confused about what the next step was, and whether or not I had to pay more to NCCT (national center for competency testing) to get my national certification. Turns out I didn't. I paid I think $100 to take the initial test, and that served as my national licensing fee. Then for the state application, which I just sent off, it cost another 100. Plus I had to make copies of various certificates, order some official transcripts, and include two more passport photos (the national cert took 1). Hoops and more hoops to jump through but I think I dotted all my i's and crossed all my t's.

So, the plan is to keep that license up as a "just in case" fall back. Just in case my current job doesn't work out (I just had a positive 3 month work review), just in case nursing school has problems, just in case at some point I need to work as a phlebotomist for whatever reason. And it will probably be a good resume boost when I'm applying for nursing jobs in a couple of years.

No comments:

Post a Comment