"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Wednesday, August 22, 2012

First few days of RN program

Monday: Arrive at 8am, sit through 6 1/2 hours of mostly lecture. Ask lots of questions and feel little timid about asking them because I don't know my teachers and classmates yet, not really. Feel completely awed by the first two professors I meet. Go to work immediately after school until 10:30pm, leave about an hour before shift end with my med tech partner's agreement, and crash HARD.

Tuesday: Arrive at 9am having slept like a brick the night before. Everyone is sitting in the same seats as yesterday. There are about 20 chapters of reading I was supposed to have done just for the first week, out of 16 or so different books, and feeling pretty overwhelmed by the quantity of information coming our way and being behind on the reading, but yet also thankful that I'm able to follow everything the teacher is saying so far, and that my most recent job has given me a lot of valuable experience that will help me in this first semester. Almost start crying during the portion of a lecture on therapeutic communication because I've just had a somewhat traumatic experience (for both me and the resident) two nights ago at work that is still lingering in my mind). Even more awed by the teachers today than the ones from yesterday. Especially one of them. I contemplate the fact that I never really admired my science professors as much as I do these nurses I've just barely met. Knowledgeable, wise, and so very intelligent, both academically and emotionally/socially.

Get to go home early that afternoon, around 1:30. Need to tune my brain out for a bit, so put on some TV and end up watching it longer than intended just because it feels so good to let go of that brain overload feeling for a few hours.

Get myself back on track, do a review of some math that's going to be on a test tomorrow (already!) to make sure I remember how roman numerals work and can do all types of fraction math with speed, briefly consider watching the videos about basic bedside care that I'm supposed to watch for tomorrow's skills day, but decide sleep is more important. Then have a fitful night's sleep.

Wednesday: Arrive on campus at 7:30am to the skills lab for an all day basic care activity nicknamed "CNA in a day". Realize that although I have been working in an RCFE (residential care facility for the elderly) for the last 8 months, I don't have a lot of the skills that are considered basic in a long term care facility, like giving a bed bath, sitting a bed bound patient on a commode, taking blood pressures the old fashioned way, brushing a patient's teeth for them or shaving their face, etc.

Tomorrow, Thursday, I'll be going to my first clinical site for orientation with my clinical instructor. My clinical instructor just got hired two days ago, and I'm a little wary of that fact. She will be shadowing another more experienced instructor while teaching us. She seems nice enough so far though.

No comments:

Post a Comment