"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Should I know already?

I have 2 weeks to go until nursing school starts, and I have to say that lately I've been feeling self conscious when people ask me what *kind* of nurse I want to be, and I really don't have an answer.

My plan has just been to get a wide variety of experiences during the clinical rotations that are a part of my school program, and at graduation time, go with my gut, or alternatively, where the jobs are. I don't feel like I know enough yet to be able to say, "OH, well, I'm going to be a pediatric nurse, definitely."

I currently work with seniors, and I like them, and they me, but I don't know that that's where I want to specialize long term. I could see myself moving around a lot within the nursing field to keep learning and growing. Or working on a unit that sees a really wide variety of patients. Or, hey, maybe I'll find myself just completely enchanted with something I have no experience with yet.

I have a friend who is a surgical nurse, and she loves it. A friend of that friend, also a surgical nurse, told me that she liked it because the patients are mostly asleep! Oh, and it pays well. But you have to be very, very good at getting along with doctors.

I am pretty sure that I do not want to work in a prison, or the state mental hospital. I want to be able to feel safe with my patients, for the post part.

I was reminded of my indecision again when one of the school staff was talking about helping us write our personal statements. And I was thinking, gosh, I bet they want you to say what area of nursing you are most interested in there, too.

In a scholarship application I recently turned in, I'll admit I catered to what I thought the scholarship provider would want me to say. It was a conglomerate that owns several senior care centers in the community. I expressed in my essay answers that I enjoyed working with seniors, and hoped to continue that. That's true, in a sense, but I don't know that I want that to be my entire job.

So, for now, the jury's out. One of the things that appealed to me when I was first starting to look into nursing as a career was that once you were "in the club" with that RN, you had A LOT of options, and you could move around, too, you weren't stuck where you started. Am I just rationalizing my indecision?

No comments:

Post a Comment