"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Back to the drawing board

It has been almost one week since that last post.

A recap: last wednesday my supervisor at my new job told me I could not take the class I am registered for this Spring, which was previously agreed to be allowable during my interview and application process. HR got involved, and later that afternoon, it was going to be "okay" again.

Update: my supervisor terminated my position today. He did not directly reference my schedule requirements, but instead chose to attack my skills. My own assessment is that they have been constantly improving over the course of my scattered training by someone who I think would be aptly described as ADHD-Barbie. His assessment differed. I think though, that it was really about the scheduling issue. Last week, even after the HR person intervened and my scheduling issue was "okay" again, there were several grumblings and complaints made about the inconvenience.

So I'm unemployed again.

It is disappointing just to lose a new job, but especially in this case, the timing is horrible.

Last weekend, with the knowledge that things still felt a little unsettled at work but at least on the surface seemed to be resolved, I dropped the additional classes I was planning to take in Spring if I hadn't found work and sent my old boss a letter letting her know I had found a new job and wouldn't be back for Spring semester. I saved both of these tasks until the last possible minute to try to feel as comfortable as possible in the new job before I made the leap -- the courses needed to be dropped for a full refund over the weekend, and the old job would be starting back up in 2 weeks, so I wanted to give 2 weeks notice.

It is impossible at this point to get the classes back; phlebotomy was one of them, and it has a mile long wait list. A distance ed psychology class was the other, and it is full now. I am looking into taking a different distance ed psych course online through a different college, however even there I am 10th on the waitlist.

My old boss emailed me back today and said she was sorry to see me go, that she was planning on interviewing me for a promotion next week because I had been doing a great job with the students. I didn't want to go groveling back for my old job, but given this in, I informed her of the new situation and I am waiting to hear back. Hopefully that will work out. I am pretty sure even the promoted position would only be 25 or so hours per week, and lower pay, but it would at least be something. And perhaps I could pick up 1 day per week of volunteer work at a hospital to get my pre-nursing health care experience.

So I've had a rough day. I think things will work out in the end, but I'm tiring of the roller coaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment