"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Saturday, January 22, 2011

What now?

I had my first week of Spring semester last week. I am taking Human Physiology, and Psychology. I am not sure quite how it worked out but in my first B.S., I think it was my microbiology class that ended up fulfilling whatever requirement it was that people usually take Psych for in undergrad.

It turns out that the lecturer I am going to have this term for Physiology is the same one I had last term for Anatomy. However, she is using all of the same materials for the class from the woman who usually teaches it, and that teacher, I can tell is ultra organized. So that will help. I wasn't able to get back into the Psychology section I dropped for the new job that didn't work out (see last post) but I was able to add a different section for Thursday nights, 7-10pm. It uses the same book, which is a relief, and seems like it will be extremely, extremely easy.

I got my job back at the campus tutoring center, and adjusted my schedule so that I will only be working on Tuesday through Thursday, the same days I am on campus anyway for class. I am hoping because I will be starting at the beginning of the semester this time instead of part way through, and I know more what to expect, I can really get a good group of students established right off who will be consistent. 20 hours per week x 9 dollars an hour = 180 per week, or 720 minus taxes per month, but that is only if everyone shows up and my schedule is full.

My confidence in myself kind of took a hit with the whole fiasco at my last job. I know I need to get a second job but now I am not sure what to do. It would be nice to get something in health care... two possibilities there would be:

(a) work in a nursing home doing elder care
(b) finish my cardiac arrhythmia training and try for a tele monitor job at a local hospital

And another possibility I am considering now, mostly because they have medical benefits for part-timers is:

(a) Starbucks barista

I have to say that the Starbucks thing is kind of appealing. I could work my 3 days at the tutoring center, 3 days at the coffee shop, and end up with enough income to not be going in the hole every month and also be able to stop paying COBRA health insurance after 3 months. It might be kind of tiring to work 6 days per week but maybe this would be the best solution.

If I was able to get a tele monitor job, their shifts are 12 hours, and 3 shifts is considered full time. I don't know how flexible they might be about scheduling around a school schedule, or that might be a good possibility. The main thing holding me back from that is my confidence level. What if I'm not good at it, and what if I make a bad impression at one of the two local hospitals, and then once I'm done with nursing school and looking for jobs I won't feel comfortable going back? Maybe that's being ridiculous.

If I went for the tutoring + starbucks option, I doubt I would be able to fit in 200 hours of health care work experience before I turn in my nursing school application. I don't know.

Elder care could also be fine, it's just a matter of finding a job, as none are posted right now. Plus, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't throw in medical benefits for a part-timer so that would mean quitting my tutoring job and stuff or just doing part time and continuing on cobra still.

Lots to think about.

One bright ray of hope in all the gray: I ended up with an A (not even a minus) in Anatomy for last semester. I found out earlier this week but forgot to post it in all the chaos. That will help my application. I was right on the border at the end of the term, so I must have done pretty well on the final.

No comments:

Post a Comment