"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Saturday, January 8, 2011

First week @ Work (Medical Lab)


Last week was my first week working at my new job in a clinical pathology lab. Pretty much the first entire day was taken up by orientation, reading company policy documents & doing online safety training modules. From there on, it was right into the lab "shadowing" one of their current star employees who is leaving in 2 weeks.

The shifts I was working were 2-10:30ish, with a ten minute paid break twice a day and a half hour "lunch" break in the middle. For the first 3 in-lab days everything was scattered all over the place, trying to jump from one machine to the next, getting little pieces of information scattered about in my head about various equipment, procedures and software, with barely a chance to even try it out before moving on to the next thing.

I am not used to doing shift work, or working in any sort of extremely structured environment. It was a struggle for me being on my feet moving around so much (when I'm used to mostly desk jobs), and also just trying to stay alert for that long. I learned that it is important to grab a snack and rehydrate during those short breaks to keep my blood sugar up. I'm not diabetic or anything, but spending all that time on my feet and not having a chance to get a bite to eat here and there I started feeling really foggy very quickly.

On Friday, my last day in the lab this week, my trainer had me start out the shift just focusing on "heme" which means running the CBC's, "retic's", and making blood smear slides of samples where indicated. I did that for several hours, then after my lunch break started adding in running some urines now and then, doing some triage drug tox tests and cardiac tests, and vitamin D levels, and archiving samples. By the end of the night I was feeling a lot more confident, and was able to move through some of the shut down procedures without any supervision, and actually feel like I was being more of a help than a hindrance.

Working from 2pm through 10:30 or so, in an indoor environment with all those bright lights, and all the physical activity completely threw my sleep schedule off. I would get home around 11, be awake for a few more hours, maybe fall asleep at 1 or 2, then get up around noon the next day and prepare to go to work again. I didn't get much of anything done outside of work, so my task list has been building up.

Now I've got Saturday, Sunday and Monday off, and when I go back on Tuesday I'll be starting at 6am. I let myself sleep in today, but tomorrow I need to start getting up early in preparation. I made a couple of appointments for my Monday off, with my doctor, and to get my job-provided Hep B vaccination series started. I need to check and make sure I haven't already had that.

I think this job will be great preparation for an eventual career in nursing, what with all the running around and multi-tasking. It has been challenging so far but I think thing will move more smoothly with time.

I need to make sure and get some scrubs ordered this weekend. I had a pen in the pocket of my lab coat and it leaked all over my shirt last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment