"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Clinical After-Burn

I seem to do a lot of after-processing after clinical and internship. Thinking about the patients I had that day, what their symptoms were and how they led to a diagnosis. How I interacted with them and other members of the healthcare team, and what went well and what didn't. Picturing procedures that I did or saw in my mind's eye.

I think it's a good thing...like how you keep burning calories for a little while after vigorous exercise, even after you've stopped. Getting more bang for your buck. (So long as it doesn't interfere with sleep, which it usually doesn't).

But sometimes there is something that puzzles me, and I get stuck on it, and really without more information I can't reach a plausible conclusion and it BUGS me. Like yesterday. A middle aged woman came into the ED because another HCP noticed that one pupil was larger than the other. They were both still responsive to light. She hadn't been exposed to any chemicals or medications that she was aware of. She had no neurological symptoms, had not hit her head. Her scans were negative for any sort of abnormality...no brain bleed, no hematoma, no tumors. She didn't really even have any symptoms related to the eye being dilated; wouldn't have noticed herself if the chiropractor hadn't pointed it out to her. Her blood pressure was a little high, for her, but seemed hospital-stress related. Over the time she was there, her pupil slowly returned to close to the size of the other one (it started at about 4mm vs 2mm in the other one).

The doctor didn't know what had caused it, and basically told her she might follow up with an opthamologist, but that he thought she must have accidentally rubbed something in her eye (she couldn't think of anything she might have been exposed to). I ran this by my neuro teacher, and she didn't know. She googled a little bit, and ran it through her own experiences and brain circuitry, and finally just told me I needed to let it go! I hear that a lot from my teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment