"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Friday, September 20, 2013

New job, feeling slightly awkward

So, my new job is a two day per week caregiving position. There is another woman who helps out the client on the other days. It pays well, is inherently very easy work, and allows me to keep tabs on the residents of the facility I used to work at without actually having to participate in the drama of working there.

I really like the client. She's not used to me coming there in that role yet, and is a little confused about it, but likes me too. I basically show up during the evening and see her through her sundowning time, keep her occupied and socializing in the evening, and help her get ready for bed at night. We do puzzles and arts and crafts together. It really is sort of a dreamy job to have while I'm finishing up nursing school.

I do feel a little awkward about it though. There is space and time to be filled, and it seems to be important for me to keep talking and moving and creating things to do and ways to interact, because if I don't, she starts to feel self conscious like she should be coming up with something to say or a way to entertain me. That is what I'm perceiving anyway.

I'm sure it will pass, and we will find a routine. Maybe I can take her out to a concert or dinner sometimes, to help pass the time, or talk her into participating in some of the activities in the building together.

She does seem genuinely grateful for the company, but also a little overwhelmed by having someone new there. She already knew me, of course, as one of the people who brought her pills and was friendly, but it is different now that we are together for 4 or 6 hours at a stretch rather than just a few minutes here and there.

No comments:

Post a Comment