"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Wednesday, September 18, 2013

My teacher told us not to do that.... :-/

So, I took 3 patients yesterday, from morning 'til post conference. The assessment and morning med pass time period was pretty hectic, and I got kinda sweaty (from being nervous I think, not from running) but it all worked out. It was complicated some by two antidepressants for different patients not being available on the floor and having to contact the pharmacy multiple times (and ways) to get them there. Also, at one point I needed to give my patient morphine, both oral and IV push forms were prescribed either routine or PRN, and I pulled the wrong one out of the pixus the first time. There was a line of staff nurses waiting to use the pixus and I let myself go more quickly than I should. Also, there are three pixus machines on the floor and I had to go to all three of them to get the various medications one of my patients needed.

But I got through it! Yay! I think I'm the first one in my clinical group to try three patients. The two that I spent the most time with (they were higher needs than the 3rd, who had her family with her and was just waiting for surgery) kept bragging about me to my clinical instructor or my staff nurse, whoever would listen. So apparently I did OK. Even with re-heating one patient's coffee about 15 times while trying to get through morning med pass.

Back to the title of my post though... so we are covering central line care and use in school right now, and one of the things my teacher for that subject emphasized, was that whenever you have a catheter going into someone's blood stream, peripheral or central, if the dressing is loose, or soiled, or the site is leaking, you've got to take care of it to prevent infection. Makes sense, no? But she said she ran into IV sites that just had their loose, sloppy dressings taped down a million times rather than removing and replacing them, and that's one of her pet peeves.

Two of my patients yesterday had sort of alarming looking PIV's; one was on a hand, and the dressing was half off. It was awkward placement and I'm sure with eating meals and just going about her day it was pulling loose constantly. The other one had a fair amount of blood visible leaking from the site, underneath the bandage. I asked my staff nurse about it... we haven't been taught to insert IV's yet, but I could change the dressings, could I do that? And in both cases she declined. "Just tape it back down," she said, and to the blood: "Yeah, it was like that yesterday, too. The thing is, she has really difficult veins, and I'm worried if we take the dressing off, the line might come out, too." I heard the words come out of my mouth, "My teacher told us not to re-tape dressings down, just to replace them..." and immediately felt like a little snot. Luckily, my tone wasn't attacky, and she just smiled and said if I wasn't comfortable, she could do it. She is a fairly recent (in the last 2 or 3 years) grad of the program I am in so I'm sure she gets where I was coming from. I suppose I could have advocated more strongly.

I've never been that comfortable with I & O's... for one thing, their meal tray is brought by the CNA and might disappear before you have a chance to look at it. For another thing, remembering how many mL is in a carton of milk vs a plastic foiled cup of OJ vs a styrofoam cup is just bewildering. And some staff nurses prefer you to chart them while others want you to write down the amounts on a little paper inside the closet doors for them to collect at the end of the day. I've got a little reference sheet, specific to the hospital I'm at for clinical right now's dietary materials, which is helping. Got it from the ward clerk.

My next question that has been bothering me... when you do incentive spirometry with someone, in the computer charting system there is a check box item: "Did they hold their breath?" with yes or no responses, and I don't know if they are *supposed* to hold their breath!! I don't remember being taught that they should. Exhale completely and take a deep breath in to make the spirometer go up, try that 3 times, and record the highest one. Get those alveoli open. I guess maybe there could be some benefit from holding the breath with the lungs completely full so that the alveoli are open longer?...

**quick research break***

Yes, you are supposed to have the patient hold their breath with full lungs for 3-5 seconds before exhaling slowly. Well, that was easier than I thought :-)

I had a kind of frustrating start to my day yesterday. I arrived expecting to take care of one person that I had had the day before and pick up two new ones, but the the hospital I have clinical at just hired a boat load of new grads, and they are all orienting right now; us student nurses can't work with a staff nurse that is also in charge of orienting a new grad. A new hire mentoring nurse was assigned to my one patient left from yesterday, so my instructor put me with a different nurse. I had my notes sheet all filled out with my new patients' info, and then, "Oh, oops...that one has a new hire to train, too." So I had to start from scratch twice.

I'm proud of myself though, I kept my cool, and managed to get through my first day with 3 patients. It's all good.

No comments:

Post a Comment