"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Monday, September 16, 2013

Patient Quantity Progression

In 1st semester, our goal was to be able to do full patient care on one patient plus everything after morning med pass on a second. In second semester, the goal was to do full patient care, all day, on 2 patients, including double morning med pass. In this, third semester, our goal is full patient care on 3 med surg patients including triple morning med pass.

Last time I was at clinical, two weeks ago, I had two patients, and felt like I could easily handle a third. I was planning to start out the day with three today, and see how it went, but when I got there in the morning, my nurse only was assigned three patients total, and their 0900 med lists looked pretty intense. In retrospect, I probably could have done it, but in the moment I panicked, went for two, and added in a 3rd later on in the day when there was an admit (but lost one to discharge shortly after, so I only had 3 patients for a short time).

I'm going back to clinical tomorrow. My same staff nurse won't be there, but I'm hoping to continue with the one patient I had today that will still be left, and add in two more. I can do more of a focused assessment on the guy I saw today, and fuller assessments on the other two. It's going to be awesome. I'm nervous.

My teacher was testing me more than usual today, pushing me just a little beyond my comfort zone with questions. It's good...I learned stuff...but of course I get a little nervous. She still kept it balanced out with encouragement though.

We've got two more big tests this week. I'm semi-prepared for one and not very prepared at all for the other. Luckily, I've got tonight to study, and I'm not completely wiped out from clinical yet. Today was doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment