"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Beginning the scholarship search process

As nursing programs go, the community college here is a very good deal. Only around 5k for the whole 2 year program (plus normal living expenses), versus more like 60k for those accelerated bachelor's programs that they offer in the bay area. But I still have to find a way to finance it.

I do still have some $ socked away in my retirement fund that I started in my early 20s, but I've already had to withdraw some from it this past year to get by and I'd rather leave it be.

I'm not eligible for federal financial aid or loans at the community college level because I have way, way, way too many units already. I looked at a private loan through my local credit union, and it appears their floor rate on an educational loan is 5%; not too bad, considering, but still I'd rather find another way. I don't think unless something big changes in my work situation, soon, that I'm going to be able to save enough cash up by the time I (hopefully) start nursing school in Fall 2012 to just front the money myself.

So in the mean time, I'm going to keep the private loan idea on the back burner, and look into a bunch of scholarships. There's also something called a board of governors fee waiver that may cover part of the cost for me since I'm low-income. I had to provide evidence to the school to change my state residency in order to be eligible for that at all (which I did today). Again, that's another thing I need to look into.

I got a photocopy of a list of websites to check on for scholarships and aid from the college financial aid office today. And I know there is another list specific just to nursing students on the nursing program's website. So I've got a good starting place. Here's hoping!!

P.S. I'm trying a new background theme for this blog. The tan with birds flying through it wasn't working for me anymore ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment