"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Passed my first phlebotomy competency!!

I didn't know we were going to be doing a skills check-off tonight, but we did! I was apprehensive about it, because I hadn't tried doing the procedure without looking at the page before tonight, but I practiced a couple times (and let someone practice on me a couple times), and then went for it, and it was fine! She said I was very thorough and did a great job.

My partner, however, barely passed. She got out all her materials, and was going to swab my finger with alcohol, and I didn't want to say anything, but she didn't have any gloves on yet, and that's IMPORTANT with a capital I; our observer apologized that she should have caught it too. Then, after she used the lancet on my finger, she went straight to collecting blood into the tube instead of wiping away the first drop. THEN she didn't know the last steps about what to write on the requisition and double checking the spelling of my name. She was probably just nervous, but she hadn't done it well when it was just the two of us and no observer either.

The person checking us off made her go through it orally a few more times without the actual stick, and she still wasn't getting it right without some serious coaching, but finally the lady passed her. I couldn't believe it. I wouldn't have passed her. We get a second try after all, if we don't get it right the first time.

I really, really, REALLY hope I can do my externship at the hospital that I volunteer at. That would be ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment