"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Saturday, December 11, 2010

Cause for concern?

I'm in a book club which is very casual and tends to have different groups of people showing up to the meetings once a month. At my meeting today, there was one lifetime nurse and one woman who used to be a nurse but is now a social worker.

It came up through the course of our conversation that I had recently left scientific research and was hoping to pursue nursing instead, and that the research world had really stressed me out, which was part of my reason for leaving.

The social worker woman was pretty...alarmed? that I would consider going to nursing seeking a lower stress job, and told me that 70% of new nurses quit and go on to other careers because of the high stress of the job.

I tried to verify this when I got home. Many articles referred to "poor" retention rates but didn't actually give numbers. In my brief search, the only number I could find was that about 30% *leave* (not the other way around). And it seemed like in a lot of the articles they were talking about newer methods of implementing mentorship programs etc to try to increase the retention rate.

I had imagined doing hospital work for maybe 5 or 6 years and then eventually transitioning out of that arena into a private practice, or school nurse, or something a little more low key. But I don't really know what to expect yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment