"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Sunday, December 5, 2010

Family Reaction to my career choice

My family has been for the most part pretty supportive around the idea of me transitioning toward a career in the health professions. Right now they're helping me keep a roof over my head until I can find work again, which is very much appreciated.

But there are some things that are nagging at me:

-My mom insists on saying "nursey-nurse" instead of just "nurse" when we are talking about it. I have told her I find this demeaning and disrespectful, and she didn't say she didn't mean it this way; she said "well how about if I'm allowed to say that about student nurses but once they get their license they become 'nurse'"
-My mom makes little comments here and there about it really would be better if your end goal were to become a nurse practitioner or a doctor, instead of "just a nurse". This isn't too surprising, as several years ago when I brought up the idea of being a nurse as a teen, she told me "nurses just wipe butt".
-My dad expresses concern that it will be hard to get a job as a nurse in our specific town, even though in general nursing jobs are easier to come by right now, because our town is a place where lots of people would like to live.


My dad's comment at least is logical and comes from a place of concern, but my mom's comments I really find distasteful and mean. I read somewhere that nurses (along with firemen) are one of the most trusted and respected careers in the U.S. Why does she have such scorn for them? And why can't she keep her mouth shut when this is something I feel good about and want to pursue?

No comments:

Post a Comment