"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Saturday, July 23, 2011

Awesome Volunteer Shift at the Hospital Today!

Today was supposed to be my second volunteer shift training at the hospital, but as it turned out, no one was able to train me, so after calling to see if anyone was coming in, I went ahead and did it on my own!

I spent the whole day running and answering questions and helping people. Two different emergency patients accidentally came into the main lobby instead of the ER, and one of them was a pregnant, Spanish-speaking lady and her husband. I struggled, but I was able to communicate enough with them to verify that she was pregnant, 2 months along, and that they suspected a problem with the baby, and that they weren't sure where to go. I called the necessary folks and then brought them to the ER.

I also got to talk briefly with a monitor tech, who told me that the hospital I volunteer at has just started offering basic cardiac arrhythmia classes -- the one for summer has already started, but there should be another one coming up starting in September. I was thinking about doing that course online for about 100 bucks, but wasn't sure if the hospitals would consider it legitimate. I also signed up for the class at a community college campus about 50 miles from here but I would rather not take the time off work and drive there once a week. If I could do it at the local hospital that would be great!

Lots to think about. Hmm.... I just thought that maybe I should have written those 2 ER patients in a log somewhere, other than just bringing them there.... will have to ask next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment