"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Too many balls in the air!

My head is kind of swimming at the moment. Too many things to juggle and arrange and prioritize for this Fall.

(1) My boss at the tutorial center asked me to teach the supplemental instruction group for physiology this fall. The hours I would need to work for that directly conflict with the hours at my new job. It felt too soon (only 2 weeks in) to start asking for special shift considerations at the new place, so I turned my tutoring boss down.

(2) At my new job at the retirement home, one of my coworkers is going to be out for maternity leave for the next 3 months, so they are raising my hours to full time while she's gone, as well as having me put through paperwork (fingerprinting and physical) for one of their other facilities so that I can substitute there. This means (a) I will be working or volunteering *every* day of the week, including weekends (b) It's still more information to take in

(3) Various educational opportunities abound:

(a) Phlebotomy: I'm signed up for a class that would require me driving 50 minutes two nights per week and finding time in my schedule to accomplish externship hours on week days, also 50 minutes away, and well-rested and ready to be professional.

(b) Basic cardiac arrhythmia: A course necessary to apply for jobs as a monitor tech in a local hospital, which pays more than either of my current jobs and would probably let me have more flexible hours around my nursing school time about a year from now. I am signed up for a version of this class at the community college 50 minutes from here on Tuesday mornings (would require cutting back on tutoring hours and cost some money for tuition, textbook), and there is a possibility I could take it at the local hospital instead (would require approval of the hospital, probably free, might give me a better in for getting a job later, on Wednesdays but don't know what time yet.

(c) I have to stay in at least one class if I want to keep my tutoring job...maybe even 6 units worth? Not sure. Eeeek.

(d) I am also signed up for medical assisting at the local community college but that was just an "in case I don't have work" option, because it would require 3 or 4 days per week basically all day during Fall. However, I'm reluctant to drop it yet because I still have anxiety about being out of work and not being able to get the class back.

(e) the pre-nursing advisor suggested I sign up for the first in the series of nursing program classes, which they will let someone take if they have completed all the pre-reqs. There is an online option for this class, and I think there are still spots available, but should I take it now? Should I wait and take it in person when I start the program because most everyone else will be? Should it be my 1 class that I am taking this Fall if I need it to remain a tutor?

(f) I will probably hear from the 2nd in-nursing-home CNA program I applied to in August or September, and I will have to make a decision if I feel okay leaving my new job (at a time that would be difficult for them), and if it is worth it to get full time benefits/less pay/work nights/perhaps more flexibility/etc....(my health insurance from my last job runs out in 4 months)

Blahh....it's hard to keep track of everything.

I think.... I think at this point, I probably should be feeling more stable at my new retirement home job, and I should go ahead and drop the medical assisting course. And maybe I should sign up for the online version of the "nursing 101" class (that's not its actual title, I just can't remember right now).

Phew. I feel a little better just having laid it all out there. But I'm still kind of stressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment