"The most successful people are those who are good at plan B." - J. Yorke


Sunday, July 17, 2011

First Week of Receptionist Work at Retirement Village

This past week I was doing training at my new job. I think it went well. I felt like I was being watched ultra-closely (probably not my imagination) but I kept getting good feedback from the lead receptionist and the organization assistant director; they kept telling me I was doing a good job.

There was a lot to take in. So many details and forms and binders and cards and policies to keep track of. And finding something appropriate to wear each day was kind of a struggle but I think I'm getting in the swing of things better than I was.

They keep telling me "please don't leave", "I hope you stay", etc...they recently lost their last new hire after only a month because she had some family issue she had to go take care of. I have that other CNA training opportunity in the wings that they don't know about, and I don't know yet what I will do if the opportunity presents itself.

I think the part of the job that is most scary for me is dealing with the phone, and transferring calls around, and saying the right thing. It's a lot to remember, and I've never been super comfortable even with simple telephone calls. It makes me uncomfortable not being able to see the other person's face. But I think I'm getting better. I also know that the management doesn't really approve of my acquaintance/friend that is working in the same office, which is a little awkward. She knows it, but I don't think she realizes the extent of it (or at least my perception of the situation, from little things here and there).

Because the section I work in is "independent living", none of us are medically trained, and in an emergency situation the only thing I am allowed to do is the heimlich maneuver. My hands are tied...no CPR, or anything like that. Really basic first aid also might be okay. But for the most part I'm just supposed to call for help and try to comfort the person until it gets there. Another lady who works in the office is a retired nurse, and she said this bothers her too, not being able to jump in and do more.

Last week felt very full, I think partly because I had a different schedule than I'd counted on due to training. Next week is my last week of doing both jobs at once (tutoring and receptionist) for a while, until the fall semester begins. We will see. Plus I've started my volunteer work at the hospital, which is a 6 hour shift on Saturday. So I'm feeling busy, busy. I will write about the volunteer experience in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment